Song: The Householder’s Light Inspired by the Saḷāyatana Saṃyutta Gahapatīvagga
[Verse 1]
I walk the world with open eyes,
I hear the sounds of life,
I feel the touch, I taste the world,
I face both joy and strife.
A family beside my heart,
A duty in my hand,
I learn to walk the path of truth
While living where I stand.
[Pre-Chorus]
When pleasure comes, I know it,
When sorrow comes, I see,
I do not let the passing world
Become the whole of me.
[Chorus]
I will live with mindful eyes,
I will walk with wisdom bright,
Through the changes of the world,
I will keep the inner light.
I may work, I may possess,
I may love and serve each day,
But I will not let attachment
Take my freedom away.
[Verse 2]
When anger rises in my heart,
I stop before I speak,
When craving calls me toward its path,
I look before I seek.
The things I own may come and go,
The world may change its face,
But wisdom teaches me to live
With balance, truth, and grace.
[Pre-Chorus]
I see the feeling as it comes,
I see the feeling fade,
Between the impulse and the act
A mindful space is made.
[Chorus]
I will live with mindful eyes,
I will walk with wisdom bright,
Through the changes of the world,
I will keep the inner light.
I may work, I may possess,
I may love and serve each day,
But I will not let attachment
Take my freedom away.
[Bridge]
The home can be a place of Dhamma,
The workplace can be too,
Every word and every action
Can reveal what I should do.
I need not leave the world behind
To find the peaceful way,
I can train the heart with wisdom
In the middle of each day.
[Final Chorus]
I will live with mindful eyes,
I will walk with wisdom bright,
With compassion in my actions,
And awareness as my guide.
I will fulfill my duties,
I will share what I possess,
And when the world begins to change,
I will remain at peace.
[Outro]
The world may change,
The senses may call,
But wisdom gives me strength
To stand without a fall.
A householder can walk the path,
With mindfulness and light,
And bring the Dhamma into life
With every breath and every step.
The Householder’s Path: Living with Mindfulness and Wisdom
Tipiṭaka, Volume 18 — Sutta Piṭaka, Volume 10 — Saṃyutta Nikāya, Saḷāyatana Vagga, Saḷāyatana Saṃyutta, Paṇṇāsaka III
Bangkok — The teachings of the Gahapatīvagga, found in the Saḷāyatana Saṃyutta, offer an important perspective on the life of householders. The teachings connect ordinary daily life with the six sense bases: the eye, ear, nose, tongue, body, and mind.
They emphasize that human happiness and suffering do not arise solely from external circumstances. They are also connected with the way the mind responds to, interprets, and becomes attached to what it experiences.
The term “gahapati” refers to a householder, a person living within ordinary society with responsibilities involving family, work, possessions, relationships, and social duties. The teachings are therefore highly relevant to people who wish to practice the Dhamma while continuing to live an active worldly life.
Householders and Sensory Experience
Householders constantly encounter forms, sounds, smells, tastes, bodily sensations, and mental objects. It is therefore impossible to avoid sensory contact completely.
The important question is not simply whether sensory experiences occur, but how the mind responds when they occur.
When something pleasant appears, the mind may develop attraction and the desire to possess it. When something unpleasant appears, anger or aversion may arise. Without mindfulness, these reactions can develop into attachment and suffering.
Practicing the Dhamma in Daily Life
An important message of the Gahapatīvagga is that spiritual practice is not limited to those who have left ordinary life.
Householders can cultivate mindfulness and wisdom through everyday activities: working responsibly, speaking carefully, caring for their families, using resources wisely, and observing their own emotions.
When happiness arises, one can recognize it as happiness. When suffering arises, one can recognize it as suffering. There is no need to allow every feeling to control one’s actions.
Possessions and Attachment
For householders, possessions and financial responsibilities are natural parts of life. The Buddhist teaching does not simply condemn possessions. Instead, it emphasizes the danger of excessive attachment.
Wealth can support individuals, families, and society. But when the mind identifies possessions with personal identity or permanent security, loss can become a powerful source of suffering.
Using possessions wisely is therefore different from allowing possessions to control one’s life.
The Gahapatīvagga in the Modern World
The teachings are especially relevant in a modern society filled with economic pressure, workplace competition, social media, and constant information.
An employee may experience stress because of criticism at work. A business owner may face financial uncertainty. Family members may experience conflict. Social-media users may constantly encounter information that stimulates attraction, anger, or hatred.
Each situation becomes an opportunity to practice mindfulness.
Mindfulness as Protection
When an emotion arises, a mindful person does not immediately react. Instead, one pauses and asks:
“What is happening in my mind right now?”
If anger is present, recognize anger. If desire is present, recognize desire. If fear is present, recognize fear.
This simple awareness creates space between the mind and the emotion. Wisdom can then guide the response.
In this way, ordinary life becomes a field for spiritual practice.
A Message for Modern Householders
The Gahapatīvagga offers an important message: being a householder does not prevent a person from developing the mind, provided life is guided by mindfulness, ethical conduct, and wisdom.
The world may contain forms, sounds, smells, tastes, bodily sensations, possessions, and relationships, but the essential task is to prevent the mind from becoming enslaved by them.
To perform one’s responsibilities wholeheartedly while remaining aware of attachment is a practical way of bringing the Dhamma into everyday life.
A good life is not necessarily a life without problems. It is a life in which mindfulness and wisdom are strong enough to face problems without allowing the mind to be overwhelmed by them.
ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:
แสดงความคิดเห็น