[Verse 1]
I learned to speak, I learned to sing,
I shaped my words like precious things.
The world would listen, crowds would hear,
But still the restless heart was near.
A passing face, a fleeting sight,
Could stir a fire within the night.
The mind would chase what eyes had seen,
And build a world from what had been.
[Pre-Chorus]
Then I learned to stop and see,
The storm was rising inside me.
Not every thought deserves a voice,
Not every feeling needs a choice.
[Chorus]
Let my words become a light,
Not a flame that starts a fight.
Let my mind be clear and free,
Let wisdom guide what I will see.
I will pause before I speak,
I will watch the strength I seek.
When desire no longer rules,
The heart becomes its own true school.
[Verse 2]
The senses call, the feelings rise,
Desire can wear a thousand disguises.
But I will watch them come and go,
Without becoming what they show.
A thought can rise, a thought can fade,
A feeling comes, a feeling strays.
I do not have to chase or cling,
I can simply know each passing thing.
[Pre-Chorus]
Then I learned to stop and see,
The chains were made within me.
When grasping fades and wisdom grows,
The door to inner freedom opens.
[Chorus]
Let my words become a light,
Not a flame that starts a fight.
Let my mind be clear and free,
Let wisdom guide what I will see.
I will pause before I speak,
I will watch the strength I seek.
When desire no longer rules,
The heart becomes its own true school.
[Bridge]
I do not need to silence the heart,
I only need to know its art.
I do not need to flee the world,
I need to see it as it is.
Let every talent serve the truth,
Let every word bring peace and good.
The greatest gift is not applause—
It is a mind that knows its cause.
[Final Chorus]
Let my words become a light,
Guiding hearts from dark to bright.
Let my wisdom shape my way,
Mindful through the night and day.
I will pause before I speak,
I will watch the thoughts I keep.
When attachment fades away,
The heart discovers freedom's way.
[Outro]
Words once bound me to the world,
Now they open doors within.
When the mind can see itself,
Wisdom begins... and freedom comes.
The Verses of Vangīsa Thera: From the Power of Words to the Wisdom of the Mind
BANGKOK — The Vangīsa Thera Verses, preserved in the Theragāthā of the Khuddaka Nikāya in Tipiṭaka Volume 26, form part of the Mahānipāta. The verses provide a profound reflection on the struggle between spiritual aspiration and sensual desire, while demonstrating how intelligence, eloquence, mindfulness, and wisdom can be transformed into instruments of liberation.
Vangīsa Thera was renowned for his exceptional verbal ability and poetic skill. Yet his spiritual journey demonstrates an important truth: intelligence and eloquence alone cannot protect a person from defilements. Without mindfulness, even great abilities can become vulnerable to desire, attachment, pride, and emotional distraction.
The central lesson of the verses is the importance of knowing desire as it arises. When sensual attraction appears in the mind, the practitioner does not simply follow it. Instead, mindfulness observes the feeling, recognizes its nature, and prevents a temporary emotion from developing into deep attachment.
The teaching also reveals that external objects do not possess complete control over the mind by themselves. The mind's own interpretation, imagination, memory, and attachment can transform an ordinary experience into a powerful source of craving.
With mindfulness and wisdom, however, the same experience can be observed without grasping. The practitioner learns to see an object as it actually is rather than allowing the mind to construct an illusion around it.
Another important theme is the ethical use of language. A person with eloquence can use words to entertain, manipulate, provoke, or deceive. But the same ability can also be used to communicate truth, inspire understanding, and guide others toward wisdom.
This teaching has particular relevance in today's digital society. Social media has given individuals unprecedented power to influence others through speech, writing, images, and video. Words can spread wisdom, but they can also amplify anger, craving, misinformation, and conflict.
The example of Vangīsa therefore encourages a disciplined relationship with communication: pause before speaking, understand before reacting, and observe the mind before allowing emotion to become action.
His journey also illustrates an important principle of personal development. Spiritual practice does not require a person to reject their abilities. Instead, it requires them to place those abilities under the guidance of mindfulness and wisdom.
Intelligence can explain the world, but wisdom enables a person to understand the mind. Eloquence can influence others, but inner discipline determines whether that influence becomes beneficial or harmful.
The deeper message of the Vangīsa Thera Verses is therefore that true mastery begins with mastery of oneself. The goal is not to eliminate human feeling, but to understand feelings without becoming enslaved by them.
In an age of constant stimulation, instant communication, and digital attention, the ancient verses remain remarkably relevant. They invite people to transform words into wisdom, emotion into awareness, and personal ability into a path toward inner freedom.
[คำแนะนำเพิ่มเติมเกี่ยวกับการใช้งาน: ตามข้อจำกัดของระบบ AI ในปัจจุบัน การสร้างภาพที่มีตัวอักษรภาษาไทยอาจจะยังมีความคลาดเคลื่อนของตัวสะกดหรือรูปสระอยู่บ้าง หวังเป็นพื้นฐานของการศึกษาและจะพัฒนาให้สมบูรณ์ต่อไป]
ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:
แสดงความคิดเห็น