Song: Beyond the Veil of Views Inspired by the Khuddaka Nikāya, Udāna, Chaccandha Vagga
[Verse 1]
I saw the world through one small frame,
And thought that all the truth was mine.
But every view can hide a part,
And every thought can bind the heart.
I hear the voices, strong and clear,
Some filled with hope, some filled with fear.
I will not cling to what I know,
I’ll seek the truth and let it grow.
[Chorus]
Let wisdom open up my eyes,
Beyond the limits of disguise.
Not every voice, not every view,
Can show the whole of what is true.
I’ll walk the path with mindful care,
Release the thoughts that bind me there.
Beyond desire, beyond the fight,
Let wisdom be my guiding light.
[Verse 2]
Like blind men touching an elephant,
Each knows a part, but not the whole.
When pride becomes the strongest voice,
The mind forgets its wiser choice.
I will listen, I will learn,
I will watch each thought return.
What I see and what I hear
Need not become the chains I bear.
[Bridge]
Neither indulgence, neither pain,
Neither pride nor fear remain.
With steady mind and heart made free,
I seek the truth that sets me free.
[Final Chorus]
Let wisdom open up my eyes,
Beyond the limits of disguise.
Not every voice, not every view,
Can show the whole of what is true.
Walk with kindness, walk with light,
Let understanding end the fight.
Beyond attachment, beyond fear,
The path of freedom becomes clear.
Chaccandha Vagga: The Wisdom of Seeing Beyond Fixed Views
Three Suggested Headlines
- The Chaccandha Vagga: A Buddhist Call to See Beyond Fixed Opinions
- Ten Discourses on Wisdom, Attachment, and the Freedom of the Mind
- From the Blind Men and the Elephant to the Firefly and the Sun: Buddhist Lessons in Clear Seeing
News Report
The Chaccandha Vagga, the sixth section of the Udāna in the Khuddaka Nikāya, presents ten discourses dealing with wisdom, attachment, conflicting views, mental discipline, sensual desire, and liberation.
The ten discourses are the Āyusaṅkhārossajjana Sutta, Paṭisallāna Sutta, Āhu Sutta, Kira Sutta I, Kira Sutta II, Tittha Sutta, Subhūti Sutta, Gaṇikā Sutta, Upāti Sutta, and Uppajjanti Sutta.
1. The Āyusaṅkhārossajjana Sutta: The Four Bases of Success
The opening discourse presents the Four Bases of Success: desire or aspiration, energy, mind, and investigation. The Buddha describes their cultivation as a firm foundation for spiritual development.
The teaching also reflects on impermanence and the finite nature of conditioned life.
2. The Paṭisallāna Sutta: Do Not Judge by Appearance
The discourse emphasizes that qualities such as morality, purity, and wisdom cannot be accurately judged within a short period. They require time, attention, association, and conversation.
Its practical message is simple: do not judge a person solely by appearance, clothing, reputation, or first impressions.
3. The Āhu Sutta: Examine What Should Be Abandoned and Cultivated
This discourse reflects on wholesome and unwholesome qualities—what has been abandoned and what has been fully developed.
The lesson is that genuine self-development requires knowing both what must be abandoned and what must be cultivated.
4. Kira Sutta I: The Blind Men and the Elephant
Different groups hold conflicting views about reality and argue that their own position is the only truth. The Buddha illustrates the problem through the image of blind men touching different parts of an elephant and each believing that his limited experience represents the whole.
The lesson is to recognize the limits of partial knowledge and avoid turning limited understanding into absolute certainty.
5. Kira Sutta II: Attachment to Views Can Become an Obstacle
The second discourse examines numerous philosophical positions concerning the self, the world, permanence, impermanence, and existence after death. The Buddha points out that attachment to such views can prevent progress toward liberation.
The teaching distinguishes between arguing to win and investigating in order to understand.
6. Tittha Sutta: Beyond “I Did It” and “Someone Else Did It”
The Tittha Sutta examines competing views concerning causation, including ideas that “I am the maker” or that “another is the maker.” The discourse describes attachment to such views as a form of bondage.
Wisdom involves seeing attachment itself rather than becoming trapped by opposing positions.
7. Subhūti Sutta: Freedom from Mental Disturbance
Venerable Subhūti is described as entering a concentration free from applied thought. The Buddha praises the practitioner who has overcome mental disturbances and the bonds that keep the mind attached.
The teaching points toward mental stability, freedom from distracting thoughts, and liberation from defilements.
8. Gaṇikā Sutta: Avoiding the Two Extremes
The Gaṇikā Sutta begins with a conflict caused by attachment to sensual desire. The Buddha then points toward the danger of two extremes: indulgence in sensual pleasure and excessive self-mortification.
The teaching emphasizes the importance of avoiding both extremes rather than allowing craving, ignorance, or rigid views to dominate the mind.
9. Upāti Sutta: Like Insects Flying into a Flame
The Buddha observes insects being destroyed after flying toward an oil lamp and uses the image to illustrate people who become trapped by what they see and hear.
The commentarial explanation identifies craving and wrong views as forms of bondage, while ethical conduct, concentration, wisdom, and liberation represent the path toward what is essential.
10. Uppajjanti Sutta: The Firefly and the Sun
The final discourse uses the contrast between the light of a firefly and the light of the sun as an image for the difference between limited illumination and the wider light associated with the arising of a Buddha and the Dhamma.
The broader lesson is that genuine wisdom is not merely recognition or reputation; it should lead toward freedom from suffering.
Conclusion
The Chaccandha Vagga presents a coherent message: move from seeing through attachment toward seeing through wisdom.
Its teachings cover perseverance, self-examination, careful judgment, freedom from fixed views, mental cultivation, avoidance of extremes, and freedom from craving.
For modern life, the central principle can be expressed as:
Having information is not the same as seeing the whole truth.
Listening carefully, examining evidence, recognizing the limits of one's own perspective, and reducing attachment to fixed opinions are practical ways of cultivating wisdom.
[คำแนะนำเพิ่มเติมเกี่ยวกับการใช้งาน: ตามข้อจำกัดของระบบ AI ในปัจจุบัน การสร้างภาพที่มีตัวอักษรภาษาไทยอาจจะยังมีความคลาดเคลื่อนของตัวสะกดหรือรูปสระอยู่บ้าง หวังเป็นพื้นฐานของการศึกษาและจะพัฒนาให้สมบูรณ์ต่อไป]
ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:
แสดงความคิดเห็น